Tuesday 30 May 2006

New Constable Exhibition

John Constable's The Hay Wain (1820-21) is moving from The National Gallery to Tate Britain for a new exhibition of his work in London: CONSTABLE The Great Landscapes from 1 June to 28 August. Read Tate's blurb. "This summer spectacular brings together Constable's seminal six-foot canvases for the very first time and reunites them with their full-scale preliminary sketches. You'll find out about changes in composition, his revolutionary handling of paint and how recent x-rays have uncovered hidden secrets. A truly magnificent show." Convinced? £10 (£8 concessions; family tickets £28) doesn't convince me, and I'm a fan! If you feel up to paying these extortionate prices, be sure to view another of my favourites while you're there: John Atkinson Grimshaw. Also, parents might consider the half-term holiday activities for kids (title link).

3 Comments:

At 30/5/06, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey there friend. I've always been partial to Winslow Homer, but I guess we all have our tastes.

Thanks for visiting my site. I appreciate your great comments.

WCSN

 
At 30/5/06, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Stephen.
You're most welcome.

 
At 31/5/06, Blogger Unknown said...

John Atkinson Grimshaw was a Brit. artist, painted from early photos, great atmosphere: shop windows glowing at night, moonlight. His street scenes have a sort of Sherlock Holmes feel about them, slightly sinister. I think you'd like his work. I'll post one of my favourites for you tomorrow. Time I gave the old boy a plug

 

Post a Comment

<< Home