Thursday 4 May 2006

Picasso's expensive joke

Picasso - Dora Maar with Cat (1941)
Heard the latest joke? Some tasteless idiot with more money than sense paid an astronomical $95.2m (£51.8m) for Picasso's "portrait" of his lover: Dora Maar. I'm surprised dear Dora didn't sue Pablo for misrepresentation. Maybe she was short-sighted. I can accept Sotheby's burbling on about Dora's "sculptural presence" and the "gorgeous palette of colours", because they've got a bill of goods to sell. (Would you believe them if they said the same thing about a rusty, clapped out Ford Anglia with a psychedelic paintjob?) But BBC News claiming this load of tosh to be a "masterpiece"! If that doesn't prove that Aunty has completely lost the plot, what does? As for the twerp who got conned into buying this tripe, he wants to remain anonymous. Who can blame him?

4 Comments:

At 8/5/06, Blogger weggis said...

I like it, but I don't have a spare £50 million in my back pocket.

 
At 9/5/06, Blogger Unknown said...

It's gross, isn't it? I couldn't work for Sotherby's. Fancy telling the lie that this tosh is brilliant!

 
At 9/5/06, Blogger Unknown said...

I played my own joke on this Picasso. I'm still waiting for somebody to spot it.

 
At 9/5/06, Blogger Unknown said...

Yup. Dora certainly bewitched Picasso. Maybe the cat was her familiar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home