Wednesday 26 July 2006

The Headington Shark

John Buckley - Untitled 1986
Jacoblog sent me a link to a website showing unusual statues, where I found this old photo of the Headington Shark in Oxford, UK. I remember the kerfuffle the shark created. American Bill Heine commissioned the fibreglass shark as a protest. Created by sculptor John Buckley, "Untitled 1986" was erected on the 41st anniversary of the dropping of the atomic bomb on Nagasaki. It's still there! Click the title link to read Inspector Peter Macdonald's brilliantly witty report on the sculpture, and here to see modern photos of it.

1 Comments:

At 27/7/06, Blogger Unknown said...

That site has far too many graphics on one page. I could get only about .75 to load before it ran out of memory. That shark was a real blast from the past. The only bad thing about it is it gave Damien Hirst the idea that sharks were the latest in-thing!
Liked the guy juggling babies. I know it's a Greek myth, but I can't place it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home