Sunday 13 April 2008

Pacific Tsunami

Gajin Fujita - Er...When I first saw this painting by Japanese-American artist Gajin Fujita, I thought Nice koi carp, shame about the graffiti; but it's growing on me! This mixture of Yankee graffiti and cliches of Japanese visual art shouldn't work, but somehow it does. Find the exhibition at Haunch of Venison in London later this month. No details, because when I tried to visit the gallery's rubbish website a message popped up to inform me that a script in its program was causing Flash Player 9 to run slowly and might cause my computer to become unresponsive. No thanks. So much for clever-dick programming. It makes the gallery seem amateur.

2 Comments:

At 15/4/08, Blogger Todd Camplin said...

I bet it is several artists. Still, looks good to me. I have a grad student friend that needs to see this.

 
At 15/4/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Tod

It's certainly innovative and probably unique. I think it's all his own work. He's juxtaposing traditional Japanese art with the graffiti he sees around him in the USA. I still don't know why it works, but it does.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home