Friday 25 April 2008

Sorolla Again

Joaquín Sorolla - left: Al Agua; right: Sulla Spiaggia, Valencia Beach (both 1908)Here are two more paintings by Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida: same subjects, I assume brother and sister, but contrasting scenes captured. The boy wears nothing but the girl's straw hat, while she is primly dressed for a Victorian bathe. The French impressionists wittered on about capturing ephemeral moments of light and shadow - their excuse for selling unfinished paintings of static cornfields -, but Sorolla sat on a beach and practised what they preached. He caught the sky and the sea in different moods and people working or children playing against this constantly shifting backdrop. His subjects aren't posed. They're oblivious of him. He must have worked swiftly to catch such telling snapshots of life. Having captured a magic moment, why should he titivate it with superfluous polish? CLICK, CLICK.

4 Comments:

At 28/4/08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good call on highlighting Sorolla. Excellent stuff. I like your statement about unfinished paintings of static cornfields... nice. Never saw the "Boy with a ball" nude by Sorolla... fantastic.

I was REALLY bummed that I missed the Sargent-Sorolla show in Spain last year. Heard about it and saw the catalogs days after the show's close... not sure when another one of those will happen!

shane

 
At 29/4/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Shane

Glad you like the post and that academic study of the Boy with a Ball. Brilliant!

Have you seen his Sad Inheritance? Gold medal winner. Gives me a lump in my throat every time I see it.

That Sargent-Sorolla exhibition is certainly one that would drag me out of my armchair if it came to London. Some exhibitions do the rounds - London, New York, Paris -; others are one-offs. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

I asked Dave - a former award-giver - to look at your website. He says you built it with some expensive software on a Mac. You wealthy student! I hope he left a few useful remarks.

 
At 3/5/08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just looked up Sad Inheritance... excellent.

Thanks for passing my site along to Dave; no messages as of yet though. Yeah, I used a photoshop plug-in to build the site... a total programming rookie I am. Wealthy student I am not... yet!

best,
shane

 
At 4/5/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Shane

Dave sent me an explanation as to why IE6 kept giving me a pop-up warning when I moused over your menu. I'll look it up and send it on to you. He liked your site, by the way; but, same as me, thought your font is too small.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home