Sunday 24 August 2008

Bob Marley Statue

Davor Dukic - Statue of Bob Marley (2008)Ever heard of the Serbian village of Banatski Sokolac? You have now, because today, during a rock festival, it unveiled Davor Dukic's statue of Bob Marley. The statue is slightly larger than life and is made of a material I haven't come across before: thickened poliesterom. Local politicians are hailing the work - the first statue of Bob Marley in Europe - as a symbol of peace in the Baltic, but then politicians everywhere are full of bull. To me it represents the continuing rise of popular culture over establishment icons. Better Bob Marley than Stalin.

1 Comments:

At 26/8/08, Blogger Unknown said...

I wrote in this post that the statue was made of "poliesterom", which I'd never heard of. I'm told it translates to polyester in English! In other words, cheap plastic. I wonder how long it will last.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home