Tuesday 30 December 2008

Bernard Berenson

Unknown Artist - Renaissance Lady (I.C. enhanced)As the end of the year draws nigh, people start publishing quotations. To find a good quote on art, I had to go back to 1952. In the Preface of the 1952 Phaidon edition of Bernard Berenson's classic The Italian Painters of The Renaissance - first published as four separate essays between 1894 and 1907 - he wrote: "Many see pictures without knowing what to look at. They are asked to admire works of pretended art and they do not know enough to say, like the child in Anderson's tale, 'Look, the Emperor has nothing on'." The Renaissance Lady shown here is on the dust jacket of my copy, but I can't find a credit for it in the book, nor a good graphic online. I had to salvage this one and turn a black background into blue sky. If you know the artist and the subject of this painting, please post a comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home