Tuesday 2 November 2010

Hockney's iPad

The Pierre Berge - Yves Saint Laurent Foundation in Paris is currently showing David Hockney: Fleurs fraƮches (Fresh Flowers), an exhibition which breaks new ground in that the artworks are displayed on iPads and they change. When compared with the art created for the best video games (CLICK), Hockney's iPad doodles are rubbish; but he is a Big Name and the art world pays attention to what he does. Despite my reservations, I rather like the one shown here: it's a vase of lavender, minimalist, unpretentious and attractive. It does what it says on the tin. But great art, forget it. If you fancy braving strike-torn France, the exhibition runs until 30 janvier 2011 (title link). If not, CLICK for a BBC video.

2 Comments:

At 21/11/10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps we must learn to accept art "as is".
If I wanted to see more detailed renderings, I could always look at other video game art, or Dogs playing Poker for that matter.

 
At 22/11/10, Blogger Unknown said...

I feature video game art on my blog too, but it isn't regarded as art by the people who tell us what art is. I'm sure if anyone but David Hockney had produced these doodles on an iPad, the Paris art gallery wouldn't have put them on show. It's Big Names that count in the art lark, not talent. That's what I object to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home