Monday 22 August 2011

Tower of Pisa

The BBC headline "Leaning Tower of Pisa straightened out" is all over the Internet and was daft, because the list has been corrected by just under 18 inches (45 Euro thingies). So Auntie changed its headline to "Leaning Tower of Pisa: a work in progress", which is also wrong, because the tower has been stabilized for the next 200 years. It has been completely restored and you can now climb its staircase to the top of the tower. Rajan Datar went for a gawk for BBC's Fast:track and got most of it wrong too (title link for video). The Leaning Tower is the popular name for the campanile (bell tower) of Pisa Cathedral, which stands in the Piazza del Duomo (Cathedral Square) renamed the Campo dei Miracoli (Field of Miracles). The tower has its own official website: CLICK.

2 Comments:

At 23/8/11, Blogger Unknown said...

I was in Pisa a few weeks ago and the tower looks beautiful- so clean! I wasn't brave enough to walk to the top... still looked to be leaning far too much not to freak me out if I got up there!

 
At 23/8/11, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Laura

Thanks for your comment. I suffer from vertigo, so you wouldn't get me to the top of that tower if it were vertical. I can change a ceiling light bulb, but anything higher than that and my head starts to spin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home